Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Don't buy fullscreen dvd's.

  1. #11
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Don't buy fullscreen dvd's.

    if you rent the Interpreter it has a nice explination and show's the difference in wide and full screen in the special features section.
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  2. #12
    Inactive Member triodevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2005
    Posts
    165
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Don't buy fullscreen dvd's.

    OK, admitted novice here, so excuse my question for its simplicity. I too prefer the widescreen format because I don't like the idea of losing part of the movie. So, I've made it a practice to buy widescreen DVDs only. That being said, I've often wondered if and when I do manage to get a widescreen TV, will I be able to watch those widescreen DVDs without the black bars at the top and bottom? My fear is that I'll have the widescreen TV, but I'll still have the black bars. Can anyone tell me?
    You wanted the best, you got the best...

  3. #13
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Don't buy fullscreen dvd's.

    http://www.dvdweb.co.uk/information/anamorphic.htm

    Should answer a lot of questions.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  4. #14
    Inactive Member triodevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2005
    Posts
    165
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Don't buy fullscreen dvd's.

    Thanks for the link Titan; that actually helped me a quite a bit.
    You wanted the best, you got the best...

  5. #15
    Inactive Member knight_67's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 11th, 2002
    Posts
    2,831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Don't buy fullscreen dvd's.

    I'm gonna have to buy a new TV, just got the satellite hooked back up, and now that some shows, well, most of em, are broadcast in HD, half the picture (well, not half, but you can tell) is missing on either sides on some shows....
    "i asked a toothless man, who all these people were and, he said the soapmakers...and we are workin workin"



  6. #16
    Inactive Member otto_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 27th, 2005
    Posts
    105
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Don't buy fullscreen dvd's.

    I have a widescreen (16:9) TV. If you buy a wisescreen DVD check the aspect ration if its 1:85, and your DVD player is progressive scan, if you go into the DVD player setup and format it for 16:9, those 1:85 DVDs will have no black bars, if you have a 16:9 TV and the DVD is in a 2:35 aspect rayio, you will still have black bars at the top and bottom, they are just smaller than on a standard 4:3 TV, if you have a 16:9 TV and buy a full screen DVD you do not have black bars on each side, thats only if you if you are a watching standard def TV program with a high Def reciever

  7. #17
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Don't buy fullscreen dvd's.

    http://plum.cream.org/HP/poa.htm

    check out the site. It is a great example of how much picuture you lose when they cut movies into fullscreen. Some of it will amaze you how much you miss
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  8. #18
    Inactive Member friedtaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 27th, 2006
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Don't buy fullscreen dvd's.

    I never knew that you missed that much!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •